Monday, October 26, 2009

Tis the Season


Last night as I was lying in bed waiting to fall asleep, I started thinking about Christmas coming up and what I was going to do for people. I have always really enjoyed giving gifts for Christmas, and I always want to do things that are meaningful, but I tend to lack forsight and creativity and usually end up spending more money than I want and having to get things last minute (i.e. December 24th at 5:00pm). I would really like to avoid that this year, but also realize that Christmas is only 1 1/2 months away, so obviously I'm probably not going to be able to do anything TOO time consuming. I had a couple of rough ideas of what to do for Chris, and also for our parents, and I'm hoping something will round itself out, but while I'm waiting for a stroke of genius, I figured I'd ask the world...

What have you done for loved ones at Christmas time that has been meaningful, memorable, and hasn't broken the bank?

What suggestions do you have for someone who is creatively challenged, perfectionist, and doesn't have a whole year?

What do you do that helps keep stress levels low and family unity high during the holidays?

5 comments:

Duncan Family said...

Hey Bita! Tom and I always do a family picture collage for our families. We are always SO "poor" at Christmas time, and so we do a bunch of pictures in a cute little frame, and then like an 8x10 family picture. It's perfect for you guys since you have added Isac (sp?) and just had your pictures done!

Michelle said...

I've done a family calendar. you can do them through costco or staples (im sure snapfish.com too) for less than $10 and you just use family pictures for the different months. I never did digital scrapbooking but you could do that for the pictures instead if you want it a little more creative. I'm not sure if you guys have photo shop or what, but you could even do the collages I think in microsoft word. You could print the calendars off yourself (not through costco, etc) and its even cheaper - Im just too lazy.

Michelle said...

oh and i was going to say, if you do it through staples I know they allow you to add events to the calendar, so you can say "Chris' bday" or "Mom & Dads anniversary". It can work for a good family idea for yourself too to keep track of everything, and its cheap. anyways - there ya have it.

Rebecca Rose said...

1. We have fun activities planned for christmas time. Last year we did simple crafts with Elliot, made cookies, played outdoors and did lots of things together that cost no money. We all had blast, took lots of pictures and Elliot still talks about christmas last year.

We downplay presents for Christmas. Not because it's the "season for giving" but because Christmas, in my opinion, isn't about presents...given or received. We do more with presents for birthdays when the focus is on celebrating whoever is having the birthday.

2. I would say to keep things in perspective. I know it's not as easy as that. :-) For me Christmas is a time to have fun with family and you do that whatever way works for you.

3. I think the biggest thing to keep the holidays not stressful...don't plan too much to do in a day. If you pack your holiday days with lots to do (even if they are all fun things), it's not fun. Keep the days open and flexible and chill. I know that for us, we have the most fun (any time of the year) when we can just all hang out at home and do what sounds appealing.

Sorry that was such a long comment. :-) By the way, I'm really liking that you're blogging again!

Heather@Women in the Scriptures said...

One year I found this guys in Ashton that had a dog sled team and arranged for my little sister and I to go with him... she had always wanted to do that. It was awesome. It was one of the best gifts ever because we got to spend time together and make memories. It was much better and long lasting than any other thing I could have bought her or made for her.