Saturday, May 1, 2010

If I were a Piano...

I have this chronic habit of playing the piano on whatever surface happens to be under my fingers. I merrily tap out whatever song is in my head, usually without realizing that I am doing it. While I was in college this habit became really really bad, but since then I've largely stopped doing it (probably has something to do with the fact that I no longer spend most of my waking hours in a practice room...).

Well...last night I was snuggled up to Chris, feeling ready to drift off to sleep when he suddenly asked me "If I were a piano, what kind would I be?".

"What?" I replied sleepily.

"If I were a piano, what kind would I be?"

Apparently I had been playing the piano on him. :)

At first I thought, "Oh no. This is like that stupid animal game where you try to describe yourself (or someone else) as an animal." I've never really been an animal person, and don't feel that I relate well to them. But then I thought about it for another minute, and found I could describe Chris is piano terms. This is what I came up with:

Christopher James Piano
-An upright piano, one of the tall uprights, not the short ones
-Some kind of wood grain, not super dark, but not fake. Something natural and woody.
-An older piano that looks comfortable in its surroundings. Something that anybody would feel comfortable tinkering around on.
-Probably has some scuffs and dings
-Is impeccably in tune
-Has a surprisingly good sound for its outward appearance.
-Doesn't matter what brand it is, just has to sound good

Then I asked him the same question about me. Here's what he said:

Elisabeth Anne Piano
-Baby Grand
- An elegant* Black
-In very good condition, well taken care of, but not brand new
-Doesn't have a "bright" sound to it at all.
-Has a soft, pretty sound that is nice to listen to, but doesn't demand attention
-Looks elegant in its surroundings, but not ostentatious

*He used the word elegant a lot in his description

We interpreted our descriptions to each other, but I'm going to let you draw your own conclusions. I found that I really liked this game. Pianos are something I can relate to a LOT better than animals!

So if you were a piano, what kind would you be?

3 comments:

Daniel Nighting said...

Becca and I love these games! Here's what we came up with:

Rebecca Ayers Harpsichord is, well, a harpsichord, specifically
this one. She's elegant (!), high-strung, fun to look at, and has a baroque quality and antique flavor.

Daniel Aaron Pipe Organ is this organ if it were left to moulder. He's off-tune, grandly pretentious, anachronistic, and permanently stuck in a minor key.

Cutler Family said...

Ha! I think your descriptions are very apt and love the pictures! That makes it even more fun!

Gurr Family said...

That is so cute! How fun.