Saturday, April 2, 2011

Since We've Been Home...

You would think that a weekend getaway would bring Chris and I closer together, but shortly after we came home Chris started talking about picking up some "chicks", and he wouldn't let the subject drop! Finally I gave in.

Usually I would be terribly jealous and possessive, but I decided that If he really really wanted them I could tolerate a few cute little fuzzy chickens. They'd better watch out if they don't give us some good eggs though! :)

I'll be honest. When Chris said he wanted to get baby chicks and keep them in the basement instead of the garage, I was very skeptical. He assured me that he would be completely in charge of them for the duration of their stay inside and that he would clean out their cage every single day so that it wouldn't stink. And he's been true to his word.

Here they are the night we brought them home. Even I could admit that they are pretty cute! Our kids were so so so so excited when we took them to the store and got all of the stuff and picked out five. They absolutely love them!
And, surprisingly, I've grown quite fond of the little things. We were having so much fun watching them grow that when they started getting bigger and Chris suggested putting them in the garage I told him I'd rather keep them inside where we can see them and play with them all the time. I can't even tell you how much the kids love them, especially William. He constantly wants to "show you the chicks" (as if I didn't live with them) and begs me to hold them at least 17 times a day. He pets them very gently and talks to them softly and even holds them on his arm or in his lap.

Isaac is fascinated too, but his fascination soon turned into banging on their cage, and almost knocking it off the table. I had to watch him closely for a while!
They have grown so fast, and pretty soon a couple started being able to get up on the edge. They really liked to roost here.
This picture just makes me laugh! These two would constantly be up on the sides and that was okay until one day i walked in and one was on the floor and had left a whole trail of poop for me to clean up. After that we put a top on!
William watching the chickadees as usual.
Chris made them a roost for their box, but pretty soon they were just too big for the place and were starting to get in fights and get in eachother's way. They had grown this much after less than 3 weeks of us having them!
Love that smiling face :) Notice how William has strategically placed a laundry basket for them to fly into? Definitely time for a bigger home!
So Chris spent a Saturday (that he had taken off work to go fishing, but they ended coming home early) making a big box for them complete with a window for Isaac to look through, and a roost for them to sit on.

Here they are discovering their new home. They are so much happier now!
The handy man and his work.
I can't even tell you how much this kid loves these chicks! It's been so much fun watching him with them and I can't wait till it's warm outside and they have a chicken coop (which Chris has elaborate plans for) and the kids get to help feed them, and run around with them and gather the eggs.
We have several different varieties (all of which Chris put careful research into) and it will be fun to get different colored eggs. They should be ready to go outside by the end of April and will be ready to lay eggs around the end of July or August!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

That's awesome! We would like chickens but we are pretty sure the subdivision rules don't allow it. I also put down my blog site so you have it.