Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Surprise!

Two of our chickens started laying eggs! We didn't expect them to start till the end of July or into August so it was a nice surprise.

Here's the very first egg we got which was about a week and a half ago. A few days before it laid this egg our chicken had a run in with a neighbors dog, which, luckily it escaped from with only a bunch of feathers pulled out. I went a little berzerk at that dog...ahem. I guess I am more attached to these chickens than I thought. Anyway, after we found the egg William said, "I think that the chicken was so scared of that dog that it laid an egg!!" :) That one made me laugh.


Allie now lays every morning between 9:30 and 10. The first thing William wants to do every morning is check the egg box, and I have had to strongly discourage him from actually pushing the chicken off of her newly laid egg. He does make sure to always tell the chicken thank you for leaving us her egg, so I guess that's positive.

He has also taken to asking to eat "a chickens egg" pretty much every day. We have tried to convince him that the ones we buy at the store are from chickens too, but he doesn't go for that. It has to be from one of our chickens.

Then, just yesterday, we got our first brown egg! Here are the boys checking out the egg box.
We had to convince William to let Isaac get this one. On a whim I did his hair in a mohawk yesterday. Tim said that the scratch on the side of his nose looked like a nose ring and that the combination made him look like some punk kid. I thought it was kind of cute.
And here are the ladies pecking around in the yard. They were coming to get a drink out of the hose. We sure love having them!

2 comments:

Heather said...

bita - your familia is super cute! i especially liked the glow sticks post. so cool!

Halsey said...

How fun! My mom's new chickens just started laying too. Nothing beats fresh eggs!

We would LOVE to see you when you come to Utah. Just give me a call!