Wednesday, February 4, 2009

It's A Girl Thing...

So maybe it's just a little bit of the winter blues, but lately I have been Stuck in a Rut. You girls know...the kind of rut where you get to the point where you feel like maybe if you just change your hair and buy some new clothes you'll feel better about yourself and life in general.

Well, I was talking to Chris about it last night, venting my frustration with life through the means of telling him that maybe I wanted to get my hair done. And he told me...go ahead! Make an appointment! (Actually he told me I should die my hair purple with green streaks-I can tell he takes this all very seriously :))

So as I was considering what to do, I had the thought that maybe I should try a different approach. That maybe what I needed was some new direction and goals, and not necessarily just a face lift. I've been pondering a lot about it today and this is what I've come up with to help myself Feel Beautiful without doing anything to my looks. I have thoughts and ideas to go along with each one, but I'm just going to post the list for now (not in any particular order, except the order I thought of them in) and see what you think.

1-Spend more time PLAYING with William
2-CLEAN my house
3-Consider SCRIPTURE STUDY and PRAYER essentials
4-CREATE daily
5-Focus on SERVICE
6-Make MUSIC

So what do you think? Do you think it will work? Do you have any thoughts and ideas of what you do when you feel this way? Any wisdom and insight to give me?

Or do you think I should just make an appointment at the salon?!

7 comments:

Krislyn Wessel said...

Bita I hear ya. I go through those same times. Usually I just decide to do something drastic like move to the other side of the country or something but reading the scriptures more often I am sure will do the trick ;)

Gurr Family said...

I think that your list would probably do wonders. But... I also think that you should go to the salon. It is fun to have some 'me' time and I would even be willing to watch William for you.

The Cook Clan said...

I think it will help. I always love to buy clothes and get all dolled up though!

Rebecca Rose said...

Often beautifying yourself on the outside is like a small transformation that helps you work on the inside too. It can help you feel refreshed and energized to get new things done. So definitely go get your hair done, I say.

I know that for me whenever I feel like you are, it's because I feel weighed down by duties and things start to get old and uninteresting. It's good to mix things up. So, it can be helpful to plan something small (but fun) to do every week or every other week. And look in places you wouldn't normally look for new things, if you can. Of course learning something new is often good.

Creating daily is a very good idea, that's one of the biggest things that can help. The other things you listed are really good too!

As much as I hate times like your having, they end up being fun because it's a great opportunity to make new goals and explore new parts of yourself. Although sometimes it can take a bit to find something that grabs your interest. Good luck!

Love,
Becca

PS: You could also do something extra fun...like visit Oregon (we'll pay for it). :-)

Erin said...

Goals are definately a great idea! But I would still change your hair or something, I don't know what it is about that sort of thing that makes such a great difference, but it sure does. It helps me to start with just one or two goals at a time and try and build them into my day until I am consistent. I've been trying to read more good books lately, and if I don't read a little every day I don't think I get as much out of it, and I definately don't feel any change in my life. As you well know, change doesn't come about without practice!

Halsey said...

I think you are right. I get feeling the same way myself, sometimes. In fact, last week was pretty much really difficult! I just fasted and prayed and started exercising :) and now I feel much better. Sometimes it helps me to just wait it out. There's this sad thing that happens which is that my hormones tend to take control sometimes...and just waiting makes everything better!

Amy Jo Romney said...

I feel that way all the time. My problem was that I try to do too much and then when I don't do everything I wanted to, I feel awful about myself. that is probably not your case. I went to the Paul Mitchel beauty school with my two sister's in law a few weeks ago. I cut my hair and it wasn't even that drastic, but it was such a relaxing time! And I felt way better about life afterwards. I have also made some goals like yours and I feel so much better. The key for me was not beating my self up about unreached goals. I was setting way to many hard goals, with no real plan of attack. I decided to "Start Early and End Happy ;)" I realized that I need to figure out a way to be Christ centered and not "what every one else is thinking of me and how am I going to save the world and avoid any conflict" centered. Goals and hair cuts are the key for me!!! If you ever need a baby sitter while you go to the temple or go get your hair done, give me a call! Thanks for your service to me. I so appreciate how you are willing to share your talents on the piano and organ. I don't know what I would do with out you. Your the best!-Amy Romney