Sunday, November 22, 2009

Let me tell you about...

This Cool Kid!

This is my little brother Tim. He now wears a suit and tie and speaks Spanish as he teaches the people of Mexico the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He is awesome and I love him! I wouldn't be at all disappointed if my sons grow up to be just like him!

However, I didn't always feel this way. Tim is 4 years younger than me, the next below me in age, and when we were younger he was the bane of my existence!! Every single thing he did got on my nerves! I couldn't stand him being around, and I even got in a fist fight with him once. Sometimes when I am irritated with William it brings back strong memories about how I used to feel about Tim all the time!

I kept thinking I needed to change my attitude about him (I felt many pangs of guilt about it), but nothing seemed to make much difference. Then it happened. I started my senior year of high school, and Tim started his freshman year. And my friends LIKED him!! In fact, EVERYONE liked him! I couldn't understand it. My guy friends would come over to hang out with Tim, and would always invite him to go with us when we were going places. I kept wondering why they didn't see what an annoying little pest he was, but I also didn't want to seem immature and catty, so I went along with it. And you know, what? I eventually found out that my little brother was cool! And we became good friends.

It got even better when I moved away to college the next year because then we didn't have to live in the same house together.

Here are several reasons why I think my brother is so cool!

-He is incredibly talented. He taught himself to play the guitar and he writes amazing music! His lyrics are always witty and his music has depth to it, and it just seems to flow out of him somehow.

-He is HILARIOUS!!! Seriously, this kid can make me laugh harder than anyone else. And when you get him together with Chris you better watch out! Your stomach will be sore for weeks.

-He isn't afraid to be the person that he wants to be. He always seems to be self confident and he has strong convictions, yet he retains a sense of humility and doesn't come across as thinking he is better than anyone else.

-He sees the good in other people.

-He is able to set goals for himself and accomplish those goals.


-He is interested in many things and takes his learning into his own hands. This makes him a very interesting conversationalist. We used to stay up at night and talk for hours about wide varieties of things when I would come home from college, and he always seemed to teach me something.

-He and Chris are "brothers from another mother". I really like that he thinks I married someone awesome.

I am so excited to see who he is when he comes home from his mission in a little less than a year. I am so thankful for the example that he continually sets for me. Gee -- forget about my sons growing up to be like him; I hope that I grow up to be like him!

3 comments:

Gurr Family said...

It is so nice when you have a good relationship with your siblings, especially after some long years of annoyance. I felt the same way toward Melisa, now she is across the country and I miss her VERY much!

Kelsey said...

Love this post! Totally made me think of my little brother and me. I miss him and can't wait till he gets home from the mission in about 6 months!

Erin said...

I was the same way with my sister growing up. Sad how much time I wasted. I hope your brother has a great mission!