Friday, October 12, 2012

Grandpa

My dear Grandpa Hall passed away early yesterday morning.  All through my busy day I was filled with the sweetest memories of him.  Nothing too specific really, mostly impressions and images and smells. And mostly from when I was young.

-The feel of his soft skin when he would give me a hug

-Teaching me to swim in his pool in California

-How he called me sweetheart

-Listening to opera music

-Sitting in his recliner

-Making me some toast

Things like that. 

Last night I had Chris help me put together this video.  My Grandpa had a beautiful voice.  I really wish I would have been able to hear him sing in his prime, but even though this is from when he was in his late sixties and his voice has aged some, he still sounds incredible. And it's exactly how I remember him sounding which makes it even better. As far as we know this is the only recording there is of him singing so it is priceless.



Grandpa was a gentleman to his core. He really was the kindest and best of men.  He was always interested in what we were doing, and I could always tell that he had been thinking about me and my family a lot even when we hadn't seen him in a long time.

 I like to think that some of my love for classical music comes from him. 

Although I will miss him a lot, it's comforting to me to know that families are eternal, and that Grandpa Hall is surely looking out for us from the spirit world, just as he always did in this life. 

We love you so much Grandpa. 

5 comments:

THE REKD LIFE said...

Bita, thank you so much for posting this! I loved listening to it, and I have the exact same memories of Grandpa! His smell, his recliner, his voice, I even put on my blog that he always played Opera! Your family is beautiful :)

valerie said...

Sorry, that was under my husbands account. This is Valerie :)

River Rose said...

Wow! I had no idea he sang so well! Love it! I could listen to that over and over. Thanks for sharing!

Haylee said...

Wow! His voice is heavenly! Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

Wow I remember that beautiful voice. I even had the privilege of accompanying him several times in the Fullerton 2nd ward. I'm sure he is still singing.