Monday, November 18, 2013

A happy helper

Today I asked my sweet William to spend some time cleaning up his bedroom while I was teaching lessons.  While I was teaching I could hear that he had turned on an audio book, and since he usually just sits at the computer and listens I figured he hadn't done what I asked. After I finished teaching and was about to go downstairs he ran up and told me he had a surprise and I needed to close my eyes.  He held my hand as we went down the stairs and then said, "OPEN".

When I opened my eyes I saw that not only had he cleaned his room like I asked, but had also cleaned up the rest of the basement.  He has started doing things like this lately and it has been so nice! It really makes me happy (duh) and I can tell it makes him really happy to do.  Like I said a while ago, he once went around and offered to take everyone's plates off of the table which he has done again since then.  He also often responds to things I ask him to do with, "Sure! I'd love to!" He is generally happy to help with Elijah and really is a sweet older brother.  Several times I have seen Elijah lay his head in William's lap and William rub Elijah's back, or Elijah giving him a big hug.  It is very sweet.

Of course William can still be quite whiny and has a lot of times where he doesn't really want to be helpful, but more and more I am seeing this considerate, thoughtful, mature little boy show through and it is really fun to see.

Classic William face

Just tying flies and wearing dragon wings...like a boss! I love this picture.

No comments: