Sunday, November 24, 2013

Heart Ache

The last few days I got a much needed break from my regular life.  It was really a lot of fun to go shopping and hang out and attend Time Out for Women, and not have to cook or take care of anyone except myself.  Kristel and I laughed a lot and did a lot of silly things.  It was a wonderful break.

However, right after we got to Salt Lake I got a phone call from my dad who told me he had run into the father of my best friend from high school. Stephanie's dad told my dad that doctors had found a cancerous tumor in Stephanie's one year old son Noah's abdomen.  My heart broke for her.

Noah is Stephanie's miracle child who she shouldn't have even been able to get pregnant with in the first place.  Her pregnancy with him was terribly hard resulting in her having to be in the hospital for over a month at the end of it while leaving her husband and two older kids.  And then Noah was born and he has been her sweetheart from the beginning.  He is the first of her children to look like her, and the happiest most endearing baby.  Stephanie told me that although she (of course) definitely loves her other babies and is so grateful to have them, Noah was the baby to teach her how much joy motherhood can really bring.

All this went through my mind when my dad told me the news. And my heart broke for them.

I had a wonderful weekend, but Stephanie and Noah were in the back of my mind the whole time. Saturday night I just couldn't sleep.  I kept thinking about them and wishing I could do something, and praying for them.  I thought of my own sweet, healthy little boys and wondered why some people seem to have to go through so much. My heart broke for them.

I joined in the fast that they had today for Noah.  I believe that there is a lot of power  in people of faith joining together in fasting and prayer.  And I wanted to be a part of that power for their family. 

Noah goes in for surgery on Tuesday.  I am grateful for modern medicine and doctors who can perform life-saving operations.  I am grateful for the power of the priesthood which Noah's father holds.  I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father and a loving Savior who have the power to heal our bodies and our hearts.  I know that they weep for little Noah at this time just like I do.

My heart aches for this sweet family, but I will continue to pray and hope for healing for their bodies and their hearts. I pray that they may find rest and that their burdens may be light.

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
                                                                                          -Jesus Christ 
                                                                                       Matthew 11:28-30

No comments: