Monday, November 11, 2013

The Dinner Rush

Although I do sort of mean to have this whole gratitude theme going with these posts, sometimes it is more fitting to talk about things that made me happy in the day or ways in which I saw the hand of the Lord.  I am very grateful for the things that make me happy, or which help me to see the hand of the Lord, but that isn't necessarily inherently obvious when I tell about what happened.  I guess to me it is all tied in together and interconnected.

As I sat down to write this evening I was trying to decide what to write about and nothing immediately came to mind.  Sure, I can think of plenty of things I am grateful for, but nothing in particular to today that stands out to me.  I suppose that is horrible because I should be feeling a huge amount of gratitude to our service men and women, but like I said that didn't particularly stand out in my life TODAY.

So I was pondering and praying a little, and thinking back on the day, and the one thing that stood out to me was that I didn't get frustrated with my kids during the dinner rush tonight.  They played relatively happily and relatively harmlessly with each other while I was getting dinner on, and I noticed and was glad at the time.

Normally the time when I am trying to get dinner on is the worst/craziest time of day for me.  Often I have just finished teaching lessons and so my kids have already had to fend for themselves for a while, and then I am trying to hurry and get dinner, and wanting them to continue fending for themselves for a while longer.  This usually leads to meltdowns, a baby standing at my feet crying, William and Isaac making as much noise and being as underfoot as possible and trying continually to get snacks out which drives me crazy since I am preparing a meal right then! Often they turn the CD player on with whatever music/audiobook is in it and while it is going and the baby is crying they either play the piano or play some kind of battle game where they run screaming all around the kitchen and living room.  Talk about sensory overload to an already tired Mom!

But today was relatively peaceful.  The baby played pretty happily with Isaac.  William practiced his piano and although he turned the CD on he was often playing with it which made it much nicer.  Isaac then made up a little game that he and William played and although it was a little underfoot in the kitchen it wasn't overwhelming because it wasn't super loud.  In the middle of their game I asked them to clear and set the table, and William's response was "Okay Mom.  I'll do whatever you want me to do."  Ummmmmm??? Okay??

*Side story: Last night at Chris's parents house William walked around and offered to take everyone's desert plates after they were done eating.  Where did this big, thoughtful kid come from?

Anyway, Isaac was a little harder to distract from his game, but he did help and they worked together to quickly get the table set.

The whole time felt so much more peaceful than it normally does and I really noticed and appreciated the difference.  Even after dinner, when they tend to go right back to their hyper-craziness was nice and calm.  William got engrossed in making a card for Lyndon (our adopted grandpa) to say thank you for his service in the military, Isaac was engrossed in his bird cage he was making out of wire racks and blankets, and Elijah played happily in his high chair while I got a fair amount of the kitchen clean and the food put away.  Usually I don't have the slightest chance of doing that stuff until after they are in bed.

So that little moment is what I am grateful for today.  And now, I am very tired and desire to go to bed, so I am not going to proof read this.  If it is incoherent you know why.  Goodnight!

1 comment:

The Yuan Fam said...

Oh man, I know exactly how you feel about dinner time. If I can get the baby down for a short nap, it gives me just enough time to get food on the table before all heck breaks loose.