Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Not the Brightest Crayon

Yeah.  That's me.  NOT the brightest crayon in the box. 

On Wednesdays I teach piano and violin lessons to 3 sisters and I go to their house to teach.  When I got there and was taking out my violin I realized that my bow was not in my case.  I could not figure out what in the world could have happened to it! I thought back and realized that I hadn't (so I thought) had it out since I had taught at their house the week before because my other violin students hadn't come that week. 

So I thought maybe I had left it, but they hadn't seen it and it wasn't in any of their cases.  I then thought maybe my boys had taken it out of the case at some point but when I asked them if they had played with it they told me very wide eyed and convincingly that they hadn't touched it at all.  I decided to believe them until I had evidence that they were guilty.  I'm glad I did.

 I tried not to panic and went on with my lessons (using one of their bows).  After I got home I only had about 10 minutes until I had another student come, but I spent it looking under couches and behind the piano to no avail. I kept going over the week in my mind trying to think if there could possibly be another time I had had my violin out but couldn't think of anything. 

So I taught another two lessons and still tried not to panic.  Finally after I was done teaching I told my mom what was going on and asked if she had any ideas or had possibly seen my kids with it. 

She said..."Well, you had it in church on Sunday.  Did you leave it on the sacrament bench?"

I stood there for a minute trying to comprehend what she was even talking about.  I think I might have even said, "I had it in church?"

She went on, "I watched you turn around and put your violin down on the bench by the sacrament table after you were done playing.  Could you have left it there?"

And then it dawned on me.  I had played the violin in sacrament meeting as part of the primary program on Sunday.  And I had moved my violin from the bench to the floor when the primary president came to sit by me during the closing song.  And then I had picked up my violin and gone in the little back room by the choir seats where my case was and had laid the bow on the counter while I put the violin away and had (probably) forgotten to put it in the case. 

As soon as Chris got home I ran over to the church and sure enough! There was my bow on the counter.  Someone had obviously seen it and moved it over to the side, but it was there. 

So today I am grateful that despite my...what is it exactly that I have? Dementia? 3kid-itis? Not enough sleep syndrome? I did NOT lose the bow to my violin.  I am also grateful that I didn't keep accusing my kids of something they didn't have anything to do with.  And I'm grateful for my mom who could retrace my steps when I couldn't.

I am a little worried that I will become a complete zombie if I have any more kids.

No comments: