Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Tough Choice

I had in mind what I was grateful for all day, but then this evening had several other things that came to mind as well.  But I guess I'll stick with what I woke up feeling grateful for. 

Daylight Savings.

I know, I'm weird.  I'm supposed to hate it, but honestly having it be getting light in the morning when I'm getting up is really nice for me.  It makes me much more likely to want to get out of bed and much more cheerful about starting the day.  And yes, I know that we really just went back to the normal time and so if we had just stuck to it through the summer it would have been this way anyway, but sometimes I think the change is nice.  Without it changing, I probably wouldn't have noticed the light this morning to be grateful for it. 

No, I don't really like losing an hour of sleep in the springtime, and no I don't love having it be dark by 5 at night, but I do think I may have it easier than some people who hate daylight savings in a few ways:

1-My kids aren't super early risers, so even with the time change they aren't up at a ridiculous hour.  Sunday morning the bigger boys were up at 6:45 and the baby slept till almost 8.  Not really anything to complain about. 

2-My kids are fairly flexible in their routine so the time change doesn't throw them off too much.  Although they do have a regular routine for the day, the times we do things already fluctuate an hour or so either way, and my kids deal with it fine, so they aren't too thrown off by an hour time change.  For instance, they are almost always in bed between 8-9 at night.  Some nights it is right at 8:00, and some nights it is 9:00 and some nights it is in between.  Some mornings they are up at 7, some they sleep in till 8 and occasionally William will even sleep till 9.  So really, an hour either way doesn't bother them too much.  It really has never been a big deal at all.

So anyway, I woke up this morning a little before 7 and felt ready to get up because it was already getting light outside and was feeling like morning instead of night.  And I need all the help I can get in the mornings so I'll take daylight savings :).

1 comment:

The Yuan Fam said...

I totally agree about the it-should-be-light-when-I-wake-up feelings. My kids have not adjusted well to the change. Hopefully in the next week they'll be doing better. Love that I can follow your blog!!